Sunday, May 22, 2016

Food Prep Sunday

Sunday is the day I typically hit the grocery store to stock up on healthy eats & food prep my meals for the week. It takes a hunk of time out of my day - like today is absolutely gorgeous and sunshiny and I would much rather be out and about but.... when I meal prep it makes my week go so much smoother & controlled. Makes it much easier to stay on a healthy path.

This week I tried two new recipes - both from this really cool website - My Body My Kitchen. This guy is the king of healthy food prepping - lots of really great ideas and super healthy recipes - love!

So lunches for this week - Turkey Meatloaf, Creamed Cauliflower & steamed green beans. Both of these recipes can be found on the My Body My Kitchen site. I have been meaning to experiment subbing cauliflower for potatoes - really just out of curiosity! I have had many people tell me it is very similar so a healthier, less starchy alternative to white potatoes. I will let you know my official review but - so far, it tasted pretty good as I sampled as I cooked ;)

Both recipes were really easy and pretty quick to prepare- I sautéed green onions, white onion & garlic for the Turkey Meatloaf....


Added to the rest of the ingredients - 1 lb lean ground turkey breast, panko, bbq sauce, egg, pepper, salt & chili flakes.

Here it is going into the oven....baked for 50 mins on 400 and it was done - easy peasy! Makes 5 servings.


For the Creamed Cauliflower - I steamed 2 heads of cauliflower...


Sautéed more yellow onion & garlic in EVOO...


Added steamed cauliflower to the onions & used my immersion blender to cream the puree the mixture....

Mixed in some plain greek yogurt, parsley, chili flake, salt & pepper and a bit of honey - and here is the finished product! Tasty healthy creamed cauliflower!


Then I just steamed some green beans in the microwave and YAY - five lunches ready to go for this week :)


I cannot stress how much this simplifies my mornings & my week - yes it takes time up on a Sunday but it is so worth it during the week if you are a working chick like myself. Although I could see how this would make things much easier even if I did work from home again.

In other news - my plan was to run 4 miles yesterday. This would be the farthest run for me in ....wow I can't even tell you. Years! I was  a little nervous about it but - I just took it REAL slow & kept going - one foot in front of the other. I kept thinking "run the mile you are in" and tried not to think "ugh i have 3 more to go" or "I am only half way there" - focusing on the mile I was in really helped me stay committed and finish strong. And.... I actually ended up running 4.5 miles! YAY!!! This was me after my run yesterday and I was feeling pretty awesome!



I had a really active day yesterday according to my fit bit :) Trying to get as much movement as possible in....love days when I am all in the green!



I feel pretty good today - maybe a bit sore and my left knee feels a little wonky - I told my sister today, it feels a lot different running at 41 versus 21 ;) but - I am very proud of myself :) Official training starts tomorrow - 20 weeks out! I will share my training plan in a future post and how I am going to tackle it.

And I am going to keep it real here - I did pick up a chocolate cupcake at the store today :) but! just buying one is a huge improvement (i would usually buy four to eat on for a weekend) and  I am going to split this one with Chad. Baby steps :)


Happy Sunday Sunday & cheers to a productive & healthy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment