Friday, July 29, 2016

Still going strong on the half training......

sorta. Last week was amazing from a running perspective - i got my 8 miles in!  Wow that is far! 8 miles...what?? and I didn't die. Or puke.  I was so proud of myself and felt really accomplished. This is the farthest I've run ever and I just felt so very proud, strong & accomplished - YAY ME!

Then we had company in town & drank all the booze and ate all the food. It was a fun weekend and I enjoyed every minute.... but when Monday rolled around I definitely felt like a slug. Oh and haaaeeeyyy humidity! The temps have been awful. The humidity and dew point each morning have been horrible and i've given myself permission to skip my morning run outside and run on the treadmill at night.

I can't shake the feeling that skipping my morning run and getting the miles in on the treadmill, in the AC, with a fan blowing on me is cheating. I do run on a slight incline but still....not the same as running outside. I have people tell me - hey 5 miles is 5 miles! But... I know better.

I also have realized what a mental game running is. I get so freaked out and feel so anxious when I think about my long runs. Holy fuck I have to run 9 miles this weekend? OMG how am I going to do that?!? And damn on Race Day I will still have to run 4 more after that! WTF am I doing?? Why didn't I sign up for the half in April when my long runs would be in much MUCH cooler temps - grrrrr!!!!!

Not sure why i let myself get so anxious and worked up - I am not setting out to accomplish a PR here - I just want to check this off my bucket list.  I am realizing that I am not very kind to myself and my inner girl voice has been a real bitch lately. I constantly remind myself to CFD and just keep running.

But then I remember how I feel when I finish a run - especially a new "farthest run ever!" run - and it makes me smile and makes my heart happy. SO.... today I have decided to skip my run - or maybe just do a short run - and treat myself to new running shoes. I think I am overdue and.... new shoes always make me happy :)

 I will do my 8 miles tomorrow - OUTSIDE - come hell or high water. And... start next week fresh with a renewed focus, a commitment to wake up early and just go.


No comments:

Post a Comment